As the barrel of the bat extends away from the hitter’s body on the initial approach it prevents the hitter from staying inside on the ball. … In other words, the shaft of the bat stays close and tight to the back shoulder. This establishes more power from the beginning of a hitter’s swing to the end.
What does casting mean in hitting?
Casting hands in a baseball swing prevents hitters from staying inside the ball. The barrel gets outside of the hands. In turn, hitters cannot hit to the opposite field. If a hitter manages to get lucky and make contact with a casting swing, they often hook the ball. A casting swing is long and rotational.
What do good hitters do?
The ability to recognize and react to pitches is evident in all great hitters. You have a miniscule amount of time to see the ball, recognize the pitch, its velocity and location and then have the ability to generate the mechanics to make hard contact.
What is bat drag?
Bat drag happens when the player “pulls” his hands through the hitting zone with the barrel dipped below the hands. … Furthermore, players that have “bat drag” are having a problem synching their upper and lower body. To put in other words, their hips may fly open too soon.
Why do I keep hitting the ball off the end of the bat?
Welcome to the site. — When a batter is continually hitting foul balls to the right side or off the end of the bat, indicates the bat-head is trailing too far behind the hands at contact. … This results in the hands (and meat of the bat) arcing too far over toward the shortstop to make solid contact.
Where should your hands be when hitting a baseball?
Proper bat grip
- Place the handle in your bottom hand and place its end on the ground in front of your front foot. …
- The index finger from your bottom hand should be bent around the baseball bat but separate from the other 3 bottom fingers that are wrapped around the handle.
How do you fix swinging too early?
How to fix being too early
- Take slower batting practice. By having a hitter face slower batting practice, they have to learn to allow the ball to travel to them, rather than jumping out to get the ball.
- Hit off of the tee with the tee set back in the zone. …
- Take an opposite field approach.